UK Members

Home Forums Introductions & Connections UK Members

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Hello,

I posted before but I’ll post again here – any UK members? As founder of this site and a British citizen I’m especially interested in hearing from our UK members?

Sethina

MurphMurph
    Participant

I am!! Although I’m a US citizen, I am a UK resident. And I’m currently trying to figure out if I should do med school here or go back to the US. There is so much to take into account. I’d like to hear from anyone who is currently or soon to be a UK doctor!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Hi,

From a financial standpoint I’d go to school in the UK. Your loans won’t be anywhere near as high as $100,000!! 😉 Just an idea!

Sethina

MurphMurph
    Participant

They’ll actually be worse! As a U.S. citizen I will be paying a minimum of £25,000 a year! And the U.S. government doesn’t give out much in the way of grants or loans for international study. The decision is tough because my husband is very happy with his job here and I graduated with a major in history so I still have to do a post-bac program or take my A-levels here. Aargh!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Oh NO!! Can you get them to accept you as a home student? How long have you lived in the UK? Can you apply for anything that could help??

Sethina

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Anyone else from the UK?

riaria
    Participant

Hi. I’m from good ol Britain – live in London. I was going to post on this forum under the kids -vs – medicine, but saw this.

Here’s my situation – I would love some advice as I am at a real crossroads. I am 37, married with two kids, husband is a teacher. I have a good enough career in IT but have always secretly wished to be a doctor. Recently I realized that it was not too late to study medicine.

The issues are as follows:
    – As with others on this forum, my concern is for my family: am I being selfish, will I be able to devote enough time to them, eg getting them through their 11+ (which takes constant time) and be there for their important landmarks like school plays, parents evenings, etc?

– As I have an arts degree (2:1) and only science O Levels (all B’s) will I actually be able to get into medical school to pursue my dream? I know I am too late for Sep 2003 but doubt if they’d let me in given lack of recent science knowledge. For Sep 2004 I can take the GAMSAT test for St George’s but this will require a great deal of work beforehand with no guarantee of getting in.

– Is it worth waiting for the 4-year graduate program or do a 6 year MBBS? If I go for the 4-year one I will not know if I have got in till June 2004. A long wait and many eggs in one basket..

– Should we move outside London and try to get into a med school somewhere else? It will be cheaper to live. If so, where? Any advice?

These are some of my concerns, not to mention the financial burden (we would probably sell our 4-bed house and move out of London into a smaller place. But this is such a big sacrifice to ask my family to make.) My husband says he is supportive if this is my real vocation. I think it is.

Please – advice welcome!!

R

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

R,

I can’t answer all yoru questions right now but WELCOME. Have you thought about taking two a levels are night school? Then you can apply to a much wider variety of schools. I’ve heard that several schools are much more open to older students, I’d call them and ask what they would suggest. Please come back here as I’m hoping to attend a UK school too. I have an application in right now (for the courses including one year of premed studies) but my referee got the application in TWO WEEKS LATE 😡 SO not much chance. I’m also thinking of taking the GAMSAT…

welcome

Sethina

DeniseDenise
    Participant

Hi I’m floating around the board trying to find the thread I was on yesterday and not having any luck when I found this.
    Although the situation may have changed some I doubt it’s much different from when I lived in England, I came to the USA 30years ago because I knew there wasn’t a hope in *** of my getting into medical school in the UK. At that time it was an unwritten rule that you had to be from a medical family (put by one med school prof as “unless Lister was your grandfather”) or you were a poor bet. I wrote a very naive letter to the American Consulate and was informed that I should get an undergraduate degree and then go to Medical School in US so I arrived without much more than the shirt on my back to do so….I also went to the Carribean after getting my BS and graduated 20 years ago then did a residency in NYC.

People should also realise that the system is very different and transferring back to US can be hard also…mostly in loss of time and money if you’ve spent any time in post-grad study (registrar).

Good luck, please feel free to ask any questions about study abroad and the vagaries of returning to USA.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.