update: the three year plan

Home Forums General Discussion update: the three year plan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mommd2bmommd2b
    Participant

Wow…for anyone following my ups and downs lately I just have to share that things have been changing really fast. Initially, my husband was a bit reluctant to consider medical school for me because of his experiences as a resident/fellow. We then agreed on an ‘8’ year plan :rolleyes: because it seemed that it would be the best for the kids.

This weekend, we got together with a couple who had in essence been in the exact same situation as we were about 10 years ago…nearly exactly the same….She was also feeling so unhappy and unfulfilled and had supported her husband through med school/residency, etc…only to find herself at home with three children at some point…so she went to med school and did her residency in FP at the program here…and has been practicing for about 1.5 years now. She talked to us about how doable it was and how much better it was that she’d done it before the kids were teen-agers…and the impression that she left was really awesome. She is one of the first mommds that is in medicine that I’ve met who really is happy about her choice.

The long and short of it….I’m now on a 3 year plan 😎 I absolutely can’t believe that this is happening and that I might have a shot at this after all…just thought I’d share this.

Kris

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Wow, what a shift. I wish you luck! So what do you have to get done in the next 3 years?

mommd2bmommd2b
    Participant

Well, I’m busy trying to figure that out myself. I need to really prepare for the MCAT and consider what types of volunteer experience I have. As it is, I have volunteered in the public schools for two years and am volunteering to teach a college cell bio lab class….I think I need to make an appt. with a pre-med advisor?

Kris

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Do you have any classes left to take?

I know that if I had adjusted my timetable that much I’d have been in a big hurry to get everything done! :boggled:

mommd2bmommd2b
    Participant

Melissa,

Thanks for your interest. To answer your question, yes I do have some classes left to take. I have not had physics or OrgII. When I applied in Germany, I didn’t need them because they are taken as a part of the med school curriculum there.

I’m wondering what I should do about some of the deficiencies that I have as well. I took some of my post-bacc classes when my husband was an intern/resident and didn’t do as well. I wasn’t a ‘pre-med’ then and my family came first. At the time, I was so disgusted with medicine that I would have laughed at the thought that I’d be throwing my hat back into the ring some day.

So…I’m sitting here this evening pondering what I need to do. My husband has called me twice today to hear my ‘plan’ and I don’t have one. Do I retake some courses to help the old ugrad gpa….I have a solid graduate science gpa and feel that I have worked through many of my weak areas….or do I simply take the remaining courses, study for the MCAT and make sure I blow it away?

I’m not sure…I’m totally shocked that my husband has embraced this the way that he has and I know that I have a lot of work to do to make myself competitive…….

I would appreciate any insight that you might have.

Kris

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

This is great news. Also, another old MomMD member just came back to us after a three year hiatus. She’s back on board and ready to go. Keep us posted Kris!

Sethina

efex101efex101
    Participant

Kris if you have a solid u-grad gpa then just take the pre-reqs that you have to take and maybe some other classes that will help for the new mcat format. Classes like cell and molecular biology, genetics, and biochemistry will help if you have time. You have three years left so that is good, plenty of time to do these classes. Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.