US Trained MD Can’t Finish Residency

Home Forums General Discussion US Trained MD Can’t Finish Residency

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dock5dock5
    Participant

Hi
    I hope someone can help me, or at least give a good direction to try….
    I’m a US trained MD from a top 20 medical school. I gratuated in 2000.
    However, beginning in my third year of medical school, I have had increasingly severe health problems including extreme fatigue, memory difficulties, joint and muscle pain, fever, etc. Though I have been to many many doctors, my diagnosis remains uncertain.
    Since graduation, I have matched into two different residencies – pathology and family medicine – and found that I could not withstand the level of physical effort that either required. I ended up leaving both residencies just months into the training.
    Herein lies the problem. I am a trained MD with years of education who cannot practice medicine, and, really, can’t even hold down a full-time job. I am looking for some solution that will let me work part-time, or from home, that does not require a license and would still enable me to put my medical education to use. I am eager to work, but am having much difficuly knowing where to begin with my limitations, i.e. no medical licence, requiring flexible hours, etc.
    I know I cannot be the first MD not to be able to complete a residency. I would like to know what others have done in my situation, or at least what my options are. I am discouraged, to say the least, and am concerned that all my work and hope for a career in medicine is in vain.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    dock5

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

Can you finish a twelve hr shift ( ie if you knew you had five days to recover afterwrads?)
    Have you applied for diability?
    ON line teaching ( of some sort)?
    Editing medical books/journals from home?
    There is a company that you can answers questions of patients from home out of Wyoming but I believe you need to have a license of some sort…
    Quest Diagnostics has something you need to read on line about OK’ing labwork – all you need is a computer…

dock5dock5
    Participant

Hi Maggie52
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Yes, I could do a 12 hr shift. I actually could work 12 hrs at least a couple times a week if I knew that I would have time to recoup. The problem comes from the day-in-day-out grind of residency. I’ve thought about a part-time residency, but really there aren’t many of them and I’m concerned about a program accepting me after my track-record of two residencies already.
    I looked into disability, but really, I want to work, and from what I can tell, I don’t qualify for disability because I don’t have enough credit years of work.
    On-line teaching would be wonderful – unfortunately, the online schools I’ve looked at want either a licence or experience. Are you thinking of a particular school that I may qualify for?
    I would love to get into medical editing/writing, I’ve sent out numerous inquires to no response – do you know of anybody looking for medical editors?
    I can’t work online call centers either because of the license issue.
    I would be interested in the Quest prospect – I’ll check out their website.
    Again, thank you so much for your help. I really very much appreciate it.
    Dock5

CaliMDCaliMD
    Participant

Dock5,

I sent you a private message…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.