Viewing an autopsy

Home Forums General Discussion Viewing an autopsy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    M -AM-A
    Participant

Have any of you viewed an autopsy? If so, how did you prepare yourself for it? How did you deal with it?

I have an opportunity to view an autopsy but am scared that I might not be able to handle it, but I really want to do it. Any advice would be appreciated! 🙂

M-A

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

M-A
    Absolutely you should do it! Post-mortum exams are a great way to see anatomy and appreciate the structure of the human body. As far as preparing…eat breakfast before you go, if you get nervous, dizzy or light-headed sit down, and remind yourself that this person is no longer living and therefore can not feel anything being done to them. It’s a great opportunity!

FPmommyFPmommy
    Participant

Great advice from momsurg – go for it! 🙂

M -AM-A
    Participant

Thanks! My boyfriend said the same thing, to just go for it!

doskidoski
    Participant

As a pathologist, I’d be interested to hear how your experience goes and what you thought of the autopsy. Let us know.

Also keep in mind that once the autopsy is over, the work has only just begun. Depending on the case, we may order lab tests on the blood and take tissue samples to examine under the microscope. It would be a great learning experience if you could get involved in that aspect also.

M -AM-A
    Participant

Unfortunately, it got cancelled! But I’m hoping to get another opportunity soon…I’ll let you know how it goes.

M-A

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.