Volunteering

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk Volunteering

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

This is so cool!
    :goodvibes:

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

Basically, I think you’d like to see what he does all day…

…so you can decide if it’s something you’d like to do one day. :yes:

Medicine is so romantic…until you actually become a doctor. And if your expectations are off, you may be very disappointed. 😮 Doctors typically aren’t rich, and the job isn’t always that rewarding. There’s lots of BS to deal with…(remember that thread from awhile back “Would you do it again?”…)

Sometimes premeds and med students have this “idea” of what a doctor is, what a doctor does, that is very inaccurate, or at the very least, romanticized. :cloud9: Medicine isn’t as sexy as it is on TV. By volunteering with this doctor you’ll have a more accurate idea of what a doctor is.

bekagainbekagain
    Participant

I agree with Mya. I spent the last year volunteering 2 half days a week at a clinic for uninsured people. I mainly followed one doctor who works there fulltime as well as whoever else might be there. I think that has influenced my desire to go into medicine more than anything, However, at the same time, it opened my eyes to the reality of primary are more than anything. I saw the primary doctor dealing with drug-seeking patients, non-compliant patients, patients that won’t come in for well-child/physicalsbut expect to get their meds anyway…It was such a huge eye-opener for me to see the ins and outs of medicine from “behind the scenes” so to speak. I think this is invaluable.

Because of the nature of the clinic, I was also able to take Hxs, get vitals, run UAs, etc. This makes me a lot more confident, also. I loved doing the hands on interaction with patients, but don’t know if your situation would allow it.

Well, that’s my story! 🙂 Hopefully you can pull something out of that to tell the doc. At least know that it was a huge benefit to me… :twocents:

Bekah

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

Maybe you could learn how to do Bp and vitals…
    and do some simple lab tests in his office…
    and learn the meaning of all those BIG WORDS he uses…

wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your comments!

Any more ideas, or questions?
    –Diana 😀

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Can you go on hospital rounds with him?

wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

He does not do hospital rounds. I believe he has admitting priviledges at 5 of the larger hospitals around here, so I’m pretty sure he uses a hospitalist.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Over all, I think you will get great experiences!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.