waiting in Texas

Home Forums Premed Students waiting in Texas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

Well, February 1st will never get here!! I can’t sleep, I can’t eat!! :tired: WHY FEBRUARY! I would at least like to know if I am going to have to relocate my family this summer even if they keep it a secret where we are going for a while longer. I CAN’T WAIT ANYMORE! Is it just me?! I have to vent to someone! 😑 I mean, we have a house that we have to sell and kids that we have to deal with. *sigh* I just can’t stand having ourlives on hold when I’m sure that the decisions have already been made. I get so frustrated when I see that most of the other schools around the country have already started sending acceptance letters, but not Texas of course!!! :goodvibes:

Emily

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Ah, this brings back memories! I was waiting on the Texas match last year and it was SO nervewracking! They did post the match at about 6pm instead of midnight on 1/31, if that makes you feel any better. Lol.

Best of luck! I hope you get your first choice! How did you rank the schools?

Pam

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

My ranking is:
    1. Tech
    2. UTMB
    3. Houston
    4. A&M

After each interview, I felt very confident. Now, the longer I dwell on it, the worse I feel that I did. Everyone else that I have talked to have put Houston first. I was very impressed with the school, but I can’t imagine moving my family to Houston. We are in San Antonio now and at times I feel that even this is too busy for us. I’m from a small town with like 2 street lightts so this is quit a bit different. Frankly, Houston scares me. I felt very at home in Lubbock and the kids really liked it there. We took them with us to all of my interviews and made them each a small family vacation. I wanted the kids to feel like they are part of the whole process. Where are you in Texas and how did you rank them?

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

Hi! I’m still wiating too! :crossfingers:

Vanessa

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

We have on eof those match systems where you have to rank the schools that you interview with on the texas system application service site. The service takes care of sending a single, standardized application to the schools that you chose but then after you interview, you go back to the site and enter the schools on your preferance for attendance. Then, after the schools send their acceptance lists to the application service, the service sort all of the accepted people by their preferances adn then you receive only an acceptance letter from the school that accepted you from the highest point on your rank list. It’s kind of annoying but I suppose that it serves its purpose. The results use to be out by January 15 but it keeps getting set back later.

I have good days and then bad ones. My guys are set that we are moving and it makes me want to cry when the 5 year old start giving his toys away so that he wont have as much to pack WHEN we move!! I keep reminding him that we don’t if know yet IF we are going to move. He’s already told his teacher and friends that we are moving in few months. I just wish that I could be as optimistic as they are.

They want to stay up that night until the results are posted but I’m not so sure that I want to check them online. I think that I would rather wait by the mail box all week to see if I receive a letter. I don’t want to see the match empty on my screen adn feel that as long as I don’t see it empty, I still have hope! I know that may sound silly, but I don’t know if I can go through this again next year.

How do things work in Virgina?

Emily

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Emily,

I live in Houston and I only applied to the three schools in this area (UTH, UTMB, Baylor). I actually didn’t match at all, which totally bummed me out. However, I ended up getting into Baylor off the waitlist so all is well that ends well! I deferred a year because I just had a baby, but I’ll be starting in August.

Good luck with everything. I hope you get your first choice! I put UTMB over UTH because I didn’t want to have all-day classes and I liked the environment at UTMB a little better (seems more non-trad friendly too).

Pam

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

Hi! Wow! The texas system sounds really different. I went through AMCAS. You can start applying in June prior to the year you are planning to enroll and you tell AMCAS where to sen dyour applictaiosn. then those schools send you secondayr applications. some pre screen before they invite you apply and some don’t- they send applications to everyone. then if you pass that you get invited to an interview. Then you find out if you are accpeted, rejected or ont he wiat list. or on the infamous “hold” where they make a decision at a later date.

Anyway I guess my application is so pititful that even though I have filled out quiet a few secondary apps i have only been invited to 2 interview and have one pending. πŸ™ february will eb the next mailing date for one of the shcools that i interviewed at and the one that i really want to go to.
    Good luck!

Vanessa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.