Want to have a Kid

Home Forums General Discussion Want to have a Kid

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lilly115lilly115
    Participant

I don’t know what’s with me lately… but I want to have a kid so bad it’s driving me crazy. I was never one of those people who was ever in a hurry to have kids… but for some reason, for the past year or so it’s been this uncontrolable urge. I dream about it all the time. I fall to pieces at the site of parents with their kids. I KNOW it MUST be all hormonal. And it’s not that I just want to have a ~baby~ to hug and cuddle… I have a cat for that. It’s not just a baby thing. I want to have a child… a baby, a 2 year old, a 5 year old, a 10 year old.

I am married (have been for a year)… but I’m only 22 and I’m going to start med school this fall… so I know I CAN NOT have a kid. I mean, it would be better for my kid if I waited…. I know. But what can I do about this horrible hormonal urge?

Anyone else suffered this?

snssns
    Participant

Read some of the other discussions on MomMD about this same topic. Med school may be your best time to have a child. Hours during residency are usually longer and less flexible. Plus, as you age your fertility decreases.

Try to talk to some med students at the school where you will be attending who have children and see what their experience has been. Try to talk to some residents and some physicians in practice as well.

If there are some local female physicians in your area, go to their office and ask to meet with them. Once they know you are accepted to med school and have questions, they will probably be happy to meet with you.

Same with residents. If there is a local residency program, go down to the program coordinators office and ask to meet with some of the residents. He or she can probably arrange some informal time with the residents.

momofchrismomofchris
    Participant

I can relate to your feelings. I felt much the same way when I was even younger than you, around 17 or 18. I wanted a baby so badly I couldn’t stand it, even though I knew I was way too young (not to mention I wasn’t even married.) The cure for me: I took a job as a nanny to a couple of 2-year-olds and a newborn. That changed my mind in a hurry! I ended up waiting to have my first child until I was 30 and I’m so GLAD I did. My husband and I spent the first few years of our marriage just having fun with one another and doing stuff together- all the things we can’t do now that we have a baby. You can’t even begin to imagine how much work raising children is until you’ve been there, ESPECIALLY if you’re also a medical student. Being a mom is a 24/7 job so you must be sure that you’re 100% ready. It’s also the most rewarding job in the world, but there are times you really wish you could throw in the towel and quit (or at least take a leave of absence!)
    If you really love kids, why not spend some time either working or volunteering with them? That might help satisfy some of your mothering instincts while doing the kids some good too. And if you still decide you want to have a baby soon, you can always change your mind.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.