What to look for in a good ob/gyn residency program

Home Forums Residents What to look for in a good ob/gyn residency program

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SabrinaSabrina
    Participant

Hi all,

I am a third year medical student. I have had two wonderful OB/GYN rotations this year that are making me seriously think about applying to residencies in this field. I am researching the residency programs now, but I thought that I might be able to get some valuable feedback from you all-the current residents in the field.

What are some of the important factors to consider in your opinion, when choosing a program? Any opinions about the size of program, e.g. 4 vs 10 residents in each year? What should I look for to make sure that there is a nice balance between didactic teaching and independent/practical learning? Are certain programs more surgically inclined than others? And what do you think about training at a university vs community hospital if I want to later apply for a fellowship? I’d appreciate any feedback.
    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

EM momEM mom
    Participant

Hi Sabrina-
    I’m not an OB/gyn resident although I’m a surgery resident going through the match again for ER so I have LOTS of experience with this whole thing, I also give a talk every year for various groups of med students about this very issue…”getting the residency program of your dreams”. I think looking for a good residency program has a few universal truths…
    #1-the perfect residency program for you may not be what everyone else considers the perfect residency program
    #2-if you’re interested in a fellowship after residency choose a University based program, although this isn’t a hard and fast RULE, you will often get more info about and exposure to these specialties in a University environment, you will meet the people who will be able to get you into these fellowships (academia is a small world) and you will have more opportunites to get involved with research.
    #3-Do your research early, you need to know about accreditation issues, number of cases, variety of cases and patient population, places those residents go for fellowships or jobs, board pass rates, research available and how many residents are involved, ancillary services (ie blood draw, radiology, transport)
    #4-***the most important*** do you fit in with the other residents, do they get along with each other…these will be your best friends and biggest source of support for the length of your residency!

If you want more info PM me and I’ll send you the powerpoint version of the talk (aimed toward surgery but plenty of info that is relevant to ANY specialty).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.