What will happen to the medical profession as more women join?

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk What will happen to the medical profession as more women join?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

With more and more women entering the medical profession what do you think will happen? Will a career as a physician be ‘downgraded’ and ‘devalued’ as more women join (i.e. the pink collar effect)? Will certain specialities become ‘women’s specialties, therefore getting less pay and respect? Will medicine change in both training and practice? What else?

Sethina

laleelalee
    Participant

I believe as more women enter into male-dominated type specialties there will be a move for reform. As more women step forward and take action, changes will ensue. This will require MORE women to enter into these professions who will later ban together for some type of movement. It will be a slow process, but it has been demonstrated in many other non-medical professions. In the meantime, more women will probably enter into more “family-friendly” specialties. This will most likely result in a decrease in pay/respect. Women will get fed up, though, and strive for more…just as we have been doing for the last 50+ years! We’ve come a long way, baby! 😀
    But, we still have so much further to go!!!
    We’ll get there! :crossfingers: :yes: :cloud9:

StartingOverStartingOver
    Participant

Hmmm…I don’t know. The profession will get better, that’s what will happen. 😉 Seriously, I think women are more likely to push for reform in terms of work hours, flexibility, equal pay, etc. just as women in other professions have done.

I don’t know if women will crowd the primary care specialities or areas that are more “family-friendly.” I would like to think that women will choose the speciality they are most interested in and fits them the best.

Love,
    Stacy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.