When can I have kids?

Home Forums Family & Parenting When can I have kids?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ddk_eckddk_eck
    Participant

Hi all,
    At 25, I’m strongly considering med school. I graduated with a BA in Psych 2 yrs ago and I’d need to find a post-bacc program to fulfill science req’s before applying to med school. My very supportive husband is confident I can succeed at this. But I won’t be done with med school until I am 30, and I really want to have kids too. If I had a child right out of med school, would it be possible to delay my residency a year or two? I’m thinking of, not suprisingly, pediatrics. And my biological clock is ticking away… What are my options?

KeshaKesha
    Participant

Yes you can delay residency to have a kiddo. But you should know that it is possible and even good for some to have kids during med school. I started when I was your age (25), and for the same reasons (the ticking clock) am going to start the fam with my husband before graduating. I’ve been told many things (wait, start, blah, blah. . .). The important thing is to have kids when you feel is best. Med school/residency can work around that. If you want to have kids while in school, look for family friendly schools and ones that offer extended programs (the first 2 years in 3). It’s fairly common. Blessings 🙂 Kesha

KeshaKesha
    Participant

One more thing. There is a post bacc program right in your city (Just noticed you’re from Chicago). I think it is through Chicago Med School (or U of Ill??). I have a friend that is going through it. Just an FYI: you don’t have to do a post bacc program per say. You could just look at requirements of schools you’re interested in and take those at your local college (that is what I did). Either works. :p kesha

ddk_eckddk_eck
    Participant

Thanks Kesha. I’m not sure if I’m going to do a post-bacc type program or just jump in to the required classes. There’s quite a few med schools in chicago, two have the post bacc programs, I think. My husband keeps telling me, we will figure it out when we need to. But I’m a “planner;” I like to figure things out first if at all possible. It’s good to know there are other people out there having kids and following their career dreams!

Kay W.Kay W.
    Participant

I am 26 and considering a career in medicine. One of the issues that I am concerned about is when I will have time to have a baby. I plan on starting college full-time in Fall 2003 to complete my Post-Bacc. work and if all goes well should be able to start medical school in 2006. I am toying with the idea of trying to get pregnant now and having the baby late this year or early 2004. This way my child would be almost three by the time I start medical school.

What do you think? Should I go ahead and get pregnant or should I wait until my I’m in medical school.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.