When to tell the office you’re pregnant.

Home Forums Women Physicians When to tell the office you’re pregnant.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DrFoodDrFood
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to the forums. I’m a pediatrician now working in private practice with some very hard-working, kind of old fashioned male docs. Because I live too far away from their town to take call from home, we’ve worked out a part-time arrangement, where I go in on Wednesday, see patients all day in the office and then stay in the hospital (I sleep in an empty patient room–it’s a small hospital that doesn’t have a call room) over night while being on call. Then on Thursday I do another full day of patient care.

Also, I’m going to go in once a month for a Saturday AM through Monday AM weekend shift. This adds up to more than a “half-time” share of call, but isn’t that always the way it goes? I’m just glad to be working in an office that doesn’t expect me to schedule patients every five minutes. The pay is a big drop from previous, and from average, but that’s O.K. for now.

When I interviewed with them, they startled me by predicting that I would be pregnant soon (I was in the process of “trying”) but it turned out they were making light of the fact that every single woman m.d. they’ve hired and most of the PNPs have become pregnant soon after being hired. They joked it must be something in their water.

Well, I actually conceived shortly before drinking any of their magic water, although I’m hoping their maternal influence will help me carry to term this time! My due date is mid to late June–when do you think I should announce this to my new coworkers?

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

I would wait until you have at least heard the heartbeat around 9-10 weeks, or have seen it on u/s by six weeks or so, before telling (which you may have already seen). Based on my experience of getting pregnant during residency – not much support there – I would also make sure you already have your plans for your maternity leave in mind before you tell them. It will take away some of the “What are we going to do about your call?” panic that will come over them right after you tell, if you then say “here’s the solution”. Just try to strike a balance between “It’s my right to have a baby, fellas” and “Sorry to inconvenience you!” and you’ll be okay.

In any case, congratulations!! :goodvibes:

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

And PS – Welcome to the physicians board!

DrFoodDrFood
    Participant

Hmmm, well I’m past those two points now already. I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy at 9 or 10 weeks (after having a couple of ultrasounds and seeing a heartbeat, etc) so I definitely want to wait until I feel pretty confident that this one is going to work out.

I’m inclined to let it go until after the holidays, ’cause heck, the baby isn’t due until late June! So far I’m not really showing (I’m at 11 weeks) although I had to buy a new wardrobe of larger size pants. Thank goodness for the Super Savers store–I was able to find nice used pants for $5-$7 each, and a woven, larger belt (yes, leather) for $1.49. The office style is casual, no white coats, no particular rules as far as I can see.

Anybody else have a story to share? Gracie, what did you do for your maternity leave? The fact that I’m part-time should help, I hope. Ideally, they’ll find another pediatrician who is willing to move to a small city that’s one hour from two nice cities and three hours from a major metropolis. So far it’s been too “isolated” for those who have interviewed, although it’s hardly rural. The salary is a bit below average, but then so are costs of living. . .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.