When we all become docs…….

Home Forums Premed Students When we all become docs…….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

what will make you unique/what are you wanting to add to the profession that you think is currently lacking/what type of impression do you want to leave on your patients?

mom2boysmom2boys
    Participant

I really want to practice medicine with a holistic approach, that I feel is currently lacking. I have read about some docs mixing allopathic and “natural” medicine and I’d love to do that. I recently read about a doc that set up an office that had not only his allopathic services, but also hypnotherapy and accupuncture – right on site! And other natural services as well. He could serve up antibiotics when needed, but had other resources to try as well.

I also want to practice with a “whole person” approach. I think it’s easy in today’s world to forget how in sync and connected the mind and body are. I know it’s easy to wish this as a pre-med, but I have read about docs that are doing it!

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Yes, treating the mind and body as whole is lacking. I hope to be more holistic too.
    I want to make house calls, just like in the old days. Some people, I think, sometimes fail to realize how hard it is to bring a hardly mobile grandma who wears depends to the doc, or an alzheimer patient, not to mention kids. Especially if you have a couple real close in age. I remeber one time trying to walk in snow down the parking lot with my 1.5 yr old (grasping his hand tightly with one hand) while holding his 3 month old brother in his seat in the other, hoping like heck I had the blanket covering snugged tightly enough at my side so it would not blow over. My arm was getting sooo tired, my toddler was pulling away from my grasp, cars were backing out, and moving down the lane……I was about to CRY, and elder lady saw my struggle and offered me help before I dropped the baby or my son was hit by a car, as we were battling to get to the clinic’s door through the goshawful snow. I accepted her help without hesitation. I ended up near the end of the appointment calling my over-tired, and over-worked mother to help me back to my car. This wasnt a blizzard either. Just a typical winter day in Indiana. How much I would have loved a house call, how much i NEEDED it. I think the thing to worry about nowadays, that docs didnt have to worry so much about back then was getting mugged (whether it be for samples of meds on hand, or money). I wonder how one would go about filing insurance for house calls, if possible at all.

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

Dana great topic!

I also would love to make home visits. When I had Timothy, my c-sec inc completely reopened and had to be packed for 4 looooong months. I was just sick with the thought of doing this myself. I had a nurse come in 1x a day to do this for me. I really felt pampered(if you can believe that) and was happy not to have to go out daily with my newborn. So YES to home visits. :yes: It reminds me of Little House on the Praire(SP)? I love that show.

I also would love to give my time to those who need it. Those who can not afford Medical Care and treat them just as I would want to be treated. :yes:

OK enough of my sappy words. :rotfl:

Michelle

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Id like to hear more of your sappy words, Shell! 😀
    I as a doc, probably wouldnt do it for ALL my patients. I think as I accrued patients, I would learn those who NEED house calls, and those who could do without. I know a doc who makes house calls to this quadroplegic I used to work for, but it was not known to his other patients. Guess he didnt want them all to know he, in certain cases, made house calls. I dont know if he charged him or not.
    My pediatrician doesnt make housecalls, but on several occassions, after taking the kids in when they were pretty sick, she would/will call at night to see how they were doing. Shows she is concerned about them. I love her. She has even been out of the office, rounding in the hospital when I have had to page her in the past, and tell me to bring them up to her and she’ll take a look WITHOUT charge. No she doesnt do it ALL the time, and I dont expect her to, but this shows she REALLY cares. I adore and admire her. I want soo much to be just like her. She has been practicing for years, in fact her hub is a retired (now) OB/GYN who delivered my daughter. I dont know what Im gonna do when she retires. Surely she will before my youngest is not a ped patient. I dont think anyone that I know can compare to her.

With the decrease in pay to the docs, they are having to see more and more patients that I think it is hard to develop a trusting relationship, and it makes it harder for the doc to REALLY be listening to you. I know I want a doc who knows me and who I am. I just dont want to be treated medical object, but as a person with feelings. I would like to keep that in mind being faced with all the challenges that usually prevents this type of relationship to be established when I am a doc.

MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

I also think the “whole person” approach is missing. But I also wonder if a lot of med students go into medicine with that approach and what happens along the way?

Have you all heard of Dr Weil? He is what I would love to aspire to be like! I think he is awesome and without people like him I would never be interested in medicine to begin with.

I would also like to do home births as an DO/MD but I’m not sure if insurance, etc doesn’t allow doctors to do that. Midwives here can deliver at homebirths, but I have never heard of a doctor doing that.

Marilyn

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

i really want to *talk* to my patients, and understand what is going on with them… not just rush them through. i want to help them understand their own health. i like the naturopathic approach to the history and physical – they really talk with the patient and find out about their whole health and also what is going on in their lives. i don’t want to be a medicine factory – i want to be a healer.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

That’s a good analogy DrWu! That is what it feels like sometimes as the patient, like you are a part on a conveyor that needs to be assembled! Yep-an assembly line.
    I just hope I can keep thinking when Im a doc on how I felt as a patient, or mother of a patient. I know this can be quite a challenge, but Im gonna try!

asunshineasunshine
    Participant

This is kind of dumb, but I really want my (OB) office to be a “home” for my patients. No snooty receptionists or diplomas all over the wall or cheesy magazines. I want poetry books, acoustic hippie music, and little sayings/Bible verses on the walls that make the patients really reflect on what it means to be a woman/wife/human being (and not mind the forever wait!).

I want to play the medicare game because I want to help *those* patients. I want the poor/young/elderly ones to be treated just as well as the ones that are not. I want them to know they are in GOOD HANDS. I want my patients to know someone believes in them and trusts them to make right decisions for themselves. Who are doctors but simple consultants? We can only suggest the course of treatment–the patient decides if it will be done. Trust is huge, esp with minorities, elderly and teens.

Clinically, I would love to do research on pain physiology in women (why do they feel cramps, but not MI’s?), hematologic disorders of pregnancy or the role of histamine in autoimmune disorders. Can you tell I love labwork? (If I didn’t like OB so much, I don’t know what I’d pick-nephro, ID, pathology, hem-onc, perinatology…)

WOMEN’S HEALTH IS A TOTALLY UNTAPPED FIELD! There are so many barriers to good quality research and practice it blows my mind. Did you know that total vag hysterectomies have been around 20 years but they’re still not the norm? Why are most birth control methods/procedures STILL unpaid by ins companies??? Makes you wonder, huh. Just the quasi-feminist in me.

So I think that’s *everything* I have to say about contributing to medicine. I like reading everyone’s responses 🙂 More, please!
    amy

MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

Amy I agree, women health is a *major* driving factor with me going into medicine.

Another thing I am really interested in is why SO many women past menopause (average age in the 50’s) are coming down with all sorts of horrible autoimmune disorders (RA, MS, etc). My mother and a lot of other women I know how been affected with autoimmune disorders out of the blue it seems (of course its not out of the blue) and I want to know WHY and how we can stop this.

Marilyn

asunshineasunshine
    Participant

Marily,
    I totally agree! That’s one of my passions. I think the autoimmune disorders make women’s health that much more difficult to treat. It seems like so many male problems can be “fixed” easier.
    Anyways, my mom has RA, maybe that’s part of it!
    amy

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Amysunshine,
    That’s not dumb how you want your decorations in your office, that’s cool—different, shows you would have a uniqueness about you as a doc, which may set you apart from all the others! Pesonalized office signifies to me individualized care. You go girl!

StartingOverStartingOver
    Participant

I would like to be the kind of doctor who really listens to and cares for her patients. I want my patients to be able to tell me anything! I don’t want them to ever feel like they are “numbers in a system.” I want to spend more than 10-15 minutes with them. Ultimately, I would like to spend as much time with each patient as she/he needs.

I would also like to spend some of my time treating the poor or those who lack insurance in addition to my regular practice. I don’t know how often this would be but I’d like to do it on a regular basis–once a week, once a month, once every other month, etc. Have a “free health care” day every so often.

As for treatment, I am personally interested in the DO philosophy and would like to become a DO. However, I will go to medical school where I am accepted. If I become a DO, then I will use OMM or OMT as appropriate. I think there is no one way to “cure” or “treat” a patient and would like to use the methods that work best for that patient. I will take the whole person into consideration regardless of my medical training (MD or DO).

Ah, wishful thinking…

Love,
    Stacy

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

That sounds great Stacy! Up here we have a clinic called “The Open Door”, I hope to do the same when Im a doc.
    The DO approach does seem great. But Im with you, if I can get into my state’s school (MD) then Im going. It is like 15-20K cheaper, I dont have to move until my last 2 yrs. If not, I have checked out (didnt to to the campus) Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. They are so friendly and helpful with questions. Also, I would like to stay closer to my family in the MidWest, it would be easier and cheaper to travel and see them on weekends or holidays Im available. Bottom line: Ill go wherever Im accepted, I hope I will be able to choose the school, not the school choose me! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.