Where are all of the residents?

Home Forums Residents Where are all of the residents?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    EM momEM mom
    Participant

Where are all of the residents (of course you don’t have to list your specific program if you don’t want to!) and in what specialty are you doing your residency?

I’ll start…I’m at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. I’m a general surgery resident who is looking for a ER position (resigned a month ago effective at the end of the academic year) although this has nothing to do with Baylor-it’s a really good surgery program and I’ve been happy there! Currently I’m in the midst of a 2 year surgical oncology research fellowship.

myimdmyimd
    Participant

I am an emergency medicine resident here in LA. I absolutely love it and can’t understand why more women don’t choose it as a specialty.

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

I am an Ob/Gyn resident (intern) in Pittsburgh. And post-call… and on call again tomorrow. This is my second weekend with 3 q2 calls…

Needing sleep…

Linda

AnnK73AnnK73
    Participant

Im in milwaukee for the year doing prelim medicine then this summer we are moving to Houston for rad onc. Also, expecting baby any day now!

EM momEM mom
    Participant

AnnK73-
    I currently live in Houston, if you want any info let me know…will you be at Baylor? One of the rad onc residents at Baylor has his twins in the same daycare class as my daughter…really nice family! Congrats on the baby on the way and pm me if there are any questions I can answer about Houston (I am a transplant from Mimmeapolis-4 years ago)!

AnnK73AnnK73
    Participant

Hi Momsurg –
    Id love advice on Houston. I spent about 24 hours there and we really dont know anyone in the city! Ill PM you. I thought I read that you are leaving due to changing residency programs? is that right? hopefully not because you of houston. What have you thought of living there?Ill be at MD Anderson starting in September.
    Thanks alot!
    Ann

EM momEM mom
    Participant

Ann-
    I returned your PM, sorry I had been out of town giving a presentation in Sacramento, CA…but I am certainly not changing my residency due to Houston (or to my particular program for that matter)! In fact I am interviewing at UT-Houston for EM and it will probably be ranked extremely highly since it has become a pretty good and friendly program and would make life very easy not to have to sell our house, find a new daycare, have my husband find a new job, etc. We’re actually pretty settled here, although I sure wouldn’t turn down moving back to MN where I would have a lot more family support!

squarepegsquarepeg
    Participant

Hi there-
    I’m a PGY-2 Emergency Medicine resident in the midwest. I’m contemplating starting a family next year. Sometimes I like my career, sometimes I don’t – we’ll see how things continue to go.

-Peg

squarepegsquarepeg
    Participant

Hi there-
    I’m a PGY-2 Emergency Medicine resident in the midwest. I’m contemplating starting a family next year. Sometimes I like my career, sometimes I don’t – we’ll see how things continue to go.

-Peg

HeatherHeather
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I am in a Family Practice program in Kansas. I started out in OB/GYN. I did one year there and decided I really didn’t love the surgery. I also have alot more time with my family now. I have 3 boys (8, 5 and 9 mos) and a wonderful husband. I can’t wait to be done with residency.
    Heather

amsams
    Participant

I’m a psychiatry resident in Boston with a 16 month old little boy. My son was born prematurely just one month into my residency, and so I took extra time off with him. I went back full time after 6 months, came home crying every single night, and quit residency all together. Two days later my husband got laid off and I asked to be taken back, which luckily they did. Good thing, too, because my husband is still unemployed 8 months later. I only work part time right now but feel ready to go back full time now and GET THINGS GOING AND GET DONE!!! I’ll be starting full time in January. I’m happy about it but am worried how I will have energy for it all and if I can STAY happy.

ellieellie
    Participant

Wow! To all of you! For the babies, the courage to change your situations when you realized you weren’t happy!, and just for sticking it out in general!

I was a resident in ortho here in WV, but due to complicated reasons, decided to leave th program. I spent the last year figuring out what in the world I wanted to do AND if I could do it. I have decided to go ahead and FINISH my ortho training. (Have been working urgent care in the meantime, which I LOVE, so it makes me wonder!) So, I’ll be moving up to Montreal to finish my ortho training there and brushing up on my French.

Will be glad to get it FINISHED in only 2 more years!!!! Yippeeeeeeee!

Take care all!
    ELlie

mom2noahmom2noah
    Participant

I’m a second year FP resident in Ft. Worty, TX. I have a 5 month old son and am still breastfeeding a pumping. Definitely a challenge but worth the extra work!

I’ve had fleeting thoughts of quitting the past month but really want to stick it out. My husband and I are in the same residency program and when we’re done we’ll be in practice together (and I’ll be working part-time). Just trying to get through a few tough rotations and tearful drives into work.

DrSAHMDrSAHM
    Participant

i’m a third year resident on basic surg training – and quite frankly after starting back have pretty much had enough!
    i have a 5 mth old baby girl and i guess my worries and concerns about returning to work were only too true!
    while i was on nights my partner had a rough time feeding bub at night and a rougher time presenting to his meetings the following days – he runs his own business so cannot afford the luxury of not going to work etc
    well, we’ll see how long we can last but if it is affecting us like it has this past week……i’m not sure how long that will be……and it may even be a good thing for us.

i’m in queensland, australia

JulieLJulieL
    Participant

I’m a pathology resident in the National Capital region. I have a brand new baby girl (born Christmas Day) and am starting back to work next week. Wish me luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.