Where are the other single mothers?

Home Forums Introductions & Connections Where are the other single mothers?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sara1sara1
    Participant

Hi everyone,

It’s all fine and good if you have a husband at home or around somewhere to help. But where are the other girls/women who do the parenting thing full time alone? Am I the only one? I don’t even get every other weekend off, father went MIA after the divorce. I know that I really want to practice medicine (still finishing up pre-meds) so anyone who has any advice or is in the same situation as I am please reply so I know I’m not alone!

SCMD2BSCMD2B
    Participant

I am a 33 year old single mother of one daughter. I am getting ready to take Step 1 of USMLE in may. Are you taking the MCAT this spring?

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hi Sara,

I’m also a single mom of a two year old daughter. Her father is also MIA by my choice and he does not initiate any other actions – thank goodness! I am in the middle of pre-med now. There are several others here in the forums, also some in pre-med as well.
    If you would like to talk, message me anytime. It is a different world for single moms and moms whose husbands are overseas and whatnot, at least for me and the ladies that I’ve talked to.
    But, it’s all so worth it.

Brandi 😉

sara1sara1
    Participant

I won’t be taking the MCAT until May 2005. How is everything going for you? How old is your child? What do plan to do as far as child care during residency?

sara1sara1
    Participant

Hi Brandi,

Thanks for replying. I’ve been getting a little discouraged lately because I tend to over analyze. It’s good to know there are other women like us doing this. I’ve heard way too much from my parents about how I should just drop out of school and work. This is not my dream and I am tired of others assuming I should settle for something less because they think I’m some helpless screw-up due to the fact that her father is not around. I’m also somewhat thankful that my daughter’s father is MIA because it really does make it easier as far as decisions, etc.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Sara,
    That’s right. Dont give up on your dreams on account of others. Most people that make remarks like that (shut up, sit down, dont advance, and raise kid or kids just at or above poverty), based on my own experiences, are those who have either never had to struggle (mostly easy life) so they cant fathom it being done, or are of old school mentality of women’s roles. Im not saying it is not okay for one to choose to be a stay at home mom (SAHM), but those people who do so, should not belittle others.
    I was a single mother at time in my life. I also was raised by a single mother. Sure we were poor, my mom never obtained more than a GED (which I am very proud of for her), the pressures of just trying to survive, with no mentors, and limited resources at that time prevented her to do so. My mom encourages me to not take the same path as her, no matter how life gets. My mom was a role model to me in many ways, taught me to be a fighter, stoic….but the one thing she couldnt be for me is a role model of education. If she could change the path she had taken in life she would. So continue on your dreams like you have said. You go girl!

Participant

Heck even being married often the women do all the work anyways…it is hard to find a sig other that helps out a lot …

Participant

Hello Ladies,
    Every time I sign onto this website, I get emotional in a great way. Especially today. I am a 24 second degree premed student with a 4 1/2 year old son. I have to admit, I am terrified. I too was feeling as though everything I read included women signing their husband’s praises for helping them through school. My mom is a great support, but not everything I imagine a partner to be. It’s hard enough to get through premed at times, I can’t imagine it getting any easier (does it? can anyone tell me that it does?) However, becoming a physician is my passion and I will reach this goal. I just haven’t figured out all the logistics yet. It’s so encouraging to hear that I am not the only one and if ever someone else needs me to bend my ear, I would love to. Also, any suggestions are appreciated. Keep up the good work, Ladies!

LaramisaLaramisa
    Participant

I’m a single mom with a 7 year old and an MIA father, also with no family living nearby to help out. Sometimes I think it might be nice to have a single mom forum because there are so many additional issues – or at least the problems seem multiplied. Every once and awhile someone starts a topic with this question but then everyone drifts off.

I’ve been having an especially rough time lately with a new boss the last 6 months who is older (late 50’s), very conservative & sexist (but thinks he is not) who has made my life more stressful by cutting down my work flexibility options. I used to telework 2 days a week but since he started I haven’t been able to because it annoys him so much. I also take work and my computer home with me every day but this is invisible to him and he thinks I am not dedicated enough. I drop my daughter at school at 8:30 and have to pick her up by 6, so I am always the last into the office and first to leave, which he periodically points out. And I am exhausted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.