Who is currently pregnant/trying?

Home Forums Family & Parenting Who is currently pregnant/trying?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I know there are a few of us who are trying to get pregnant and/or are currently pregnant. Would anyone like to share with us your current situation and how you are handling the pregnancy along with school/residency/work/etc?

Just to start things off, my husband and I are currently trying for our fourth child. This is the result of 5 years of yearning for a baby on my part, and my realization that this is probably the best time. I am a 1st year medical student at OSUCOM and I will be pursuing the Problem-based-learning pathway. Basically this means that instead of learning each subject by itself, we learn all the subjects in the context of actual patient cases. For example, given patient A with such and such symptoms, x-rays, lab results, etc., what do we need to learn in order to make a diagnosis? We go out and learn it and present our findings. There are groups of 7 students to 2 faculty members and we meet 3 times a week for 2 hours. Way, way better than spending 6 hours a day in dry lectures :tired: , at least for my personal learning style. (for more info on the 3 learning pathways at OSUCOM, visit http://www.med.ohio-state.edu )

Soooooo, the flexibility allows us to fit a little tike into our lives. Let’s hear your story!

Yours,
    Elise 😀

eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

Hello again Elise!

Hope that all is going well for you in first year, and that Anatomy is getting better :wave: . Well, I am just shy of 7 weeks pregnant by dates. This after 14 total months of trying to conceive and two early miscarriages. What a time it’s been! It was a struggle to deal with the losses, since they happened 1) right before my finals last year and 2) right in the beginning of my third year of med school, where my first rotation was pediatrics of all things. This pregnancy is giving us a scare. Because of my history I had a TVU (transvaginal ultrasound) last week at 6 wks by dates, actually about 5w5d based on ovulation. They couldn’t see a “fetal pole” or heartbeat but did see a gestational sac that measured at 5.5 weeks and a yolk sac, both good signs. But all of this was complicated by a cold and unfeeling ultrasound tech who scared the LIFE out of me when she told me that they “couldn’t see a baby” and to “go home and not worry about it.” I’ll get a repeat next week, but in the meantime I’ve just started my psychiatry rotation and am finding it hard to focus and harder to get out of being on rotation to go to doctor’s appointments. Especially since I don’t want most of my fellow students, residents, or attendings to know yet. It’s also been difficult since many of my classmates and their spouses are either new parents or will soon be. It sounds like you have a good plan in place for having that fourth baby (wow, 4 kids…I can’t even convince my husband that 4 pets is OK…wait until I remind him that my ultimate goal is 3-4 kids!), so good luck to you. At least the “trying” is fun! 😉 Sorry that this got long. I’m actually on call for psychiatry and trying to fill up my time! Best of luck to you again, and to all others who are pregnant or will soon be!

Erin, MS3

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Congrats on your pregnancy :goodvibes: and a big knock on the head of that *&$#$! ultrasound tech 😡 . Can we add a little humanism to medicine oh medical people of the world?!

Sounds like everything is going well. Best of luck and you must, MUST email us when the little tyke arrives!

Yours,
    Elise 😀

momofbreemomofbree
    Participant

Elise,
    My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year now. We have a wonderful two year old daughter and I had always wanted my kids to be close in age. Unfortunately, after my daughter was born I went on depo provera for a few months. I haven’t had my period since and I am having all kinds of hormonal problems :boggled: . My O.B. prescribed synthetic progesterone in August to jump start my periods but I only had one and haven’t had one since. I am a pre-med, with 3 semesters left on my B.S. I thought it would be best to have a baby before med school but now I don’t know if its a possibility. But we’re still trying. Good luck on your efforts!

Shanna :p

NanonNanon
    Participant

I’m also in the last 3 semesters of my undergrad, trying for our first kid. We’ve been trying on and off for a little less than a year. I’m trying to be as zen as possible about it, but so far I’ve “felt” pregnant at least 3 times. Stupid psychosomatic pregnancies. 😉

I worry about the following: I’m already really tired, and being tired already affects my school work. Being in a pregnancy coma (ya’ll know what I’m talking about) is going to wreak havoc on my life. Also, I’m not keen on the idea of having morning sickness in a class of 300 18 year olds everyday. And finally, if I manage to get preggers any time soon, I worry about how I’ll reach a computer keyboard in my last months, as I’ll be taking mostly programming classes.

Anyone else as neurotic as I am? :boggled: :rolleyes:

Nanon

erinerin
    Participant

Hey nanon,
    I hear you on the morning sickness thing. I just got over 2 weeks of feeling like never getting out of bed for the rest of my life! I feel great now, though. 🙂 Funny how that happens. Well, I can tell you that puking right before a biochem exam doesn’t do great things for your scores, but I’m hoping I’ll hold on to my passing grade in the class! Two more weeks left till break! Morning sickness is hard. And I know I didn’t believe it when my mom said it a couple of weeks ago, but it really doesn’t last that long for most people. Don’t let it stop you if you want a kid. I know you can do it!

KannaBKannaB
    Participant

Well, I am MS2 and 6 months pregnant, due in March. I have to say that things are going pretty well, all things considered. My 1st trimester was hard – nauseous and tired almost continuously for about 10 weeks, which were the first 6 weeks of school – but I am at least feeling better most of the time now. Still tired a lot, and I feel huge, but I am functioning. I just wanted to point out that there have been a few things that have made this pregnancy/school combo kind of wonderful that i didn’t anticipate. First, the support of my classmates is just incredible. I am an older student (33), and I think that I expected my classmates to not be able to relate… just the opposite. Just about every day, someone tells me how much they admire what I’m doing, that I am inspirational, their hero, etc. Their support and encouragement has been really amazing. They are also supportive in a practical way as well, collecting handouts that I miss if I’m skipping class and sharing their notes, etc. The second unanticipated perk is that I am incredibly happy to be pregnant, and it makes it kind of impossible to get worked up into a real lather about school. I work, and yes I get stressed, but I do not get nearly as freaked out as my younger and not-gestating classmates. I think that it is just a function of having something larger going on in my life besides classes – it puts classwork in perspective and actually makes it easier to get things done. Other things that help: my husband is amazing, sweet, patient, encouraging, and is doing most of the housework at this point, and perhaps most critically has really learned to swing with the punches of my pregnancy-induced mood swings and is so kind and patient that it makes me want to cry. Secondly, my mom lives near by, and is so deleriously happy to have a grandchild on the way that she will do anything (and has) to help – she brought meals over during midterms while my husband was laid up with pneumonia, has done our laundry, and has just been great. So, for anyone considering the combo, I recommend keeping great people in your life and not getting too isolated with the stress.
    Good luck out there!
    -K

GatorMDGatorMD
    Participant

Congratulations and Good Luck to all of the above!!
    Well, I was trying to wait until it wasn’t a “secret” anymore, before posting on the internet – but after nearly passing out halfway through doing a colonoscopy on one of my patients this morning the word is basically out that I’m pregnant. I’m only 7 1/2 weeks and was trying to keep things under wraps a little longer….but maybe now everyone at work will understand why I’m always snacking (except this morning…big mistake) and am more tired and spacey lately.
    I am in my last year of residency and already have 1 son (just turned 3 last month) whom I delivered as a 4th year med student. What makes things even more complicated is that my husband started a job across the country 2 months ago. He was previously a HUGE help to me — has changed WAY MORE diapers than I have. Since then, I have hired a great nanny/babysitter who helps me out every evening M-F. She picks him up from preschool everyday, makes dinner, and gives him a bath. If I am home and can spend time with him, then she’ll run to the grocery store, take out the garbage, etc. If I’m not home, then she’s the nanny. She and my son’s grandmothers take turns spending the night when I am on call. With the new income of my husband’s job, I also have been able to splurge on someone to come clean my home every other week. (Which I’ve now discovered is essentially necessary, because the chemicals exacerbate my nausea very much). We also invested in a couple of digital cameras for teleconferencing purposes…my son gets “to talk to Daddy in the computer” every night!
    Luckily, there has been no shortage of job offers out there and it looks like I will have a “job-share” position, working only 3 days week….just in time for my growing family!!
    Another little wrinkle in my plan is that my Boards are only 1 1/2 weeks before my due date! Hopefully I won’t deliver early and there will be enough potty breaks for me!
    But, I am SO EXCITED about this pregnancy and actually think it couldn’t have been timed much better…..I don’t have to worry about “maternity leave” and other such issues having the baby right after residency graduation, but before starting a new job.
    Keep me in your prayers :goodvibes:

DrSleepDrSleep
    Participant

Hi everyone:
    Well, I am 30 weeks pregnant with twins. I feel like I am about to explode right now. It has been pretty uncomfortable this time. My first pregnancy was a breeze, but with this one I’ve had all the minor aches you can have. I’ve been having some “pains” today that have me kind of scared. They feel like labor pains but my belly doesn’t feel tighter when it happens. Now, with twins my belly is already pretty tight. Also it is only on the front top, not in the back. It has decreased some already so I’ll see how it goes during the night. I am working still but just by letting my peers know if I feel like I’m able to work or not the next day. My next appointment is this Friday and now they are weekly. We’ll get to see the boys that day. Well, I’m gonna go and rest some more again. Bye.
    Dana

eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

Well, I meant to update this weeks ago…I am now at 11 weeks, counting down to that magical 12 week mark. We had another u/s at 8 weeks. I went in expecting the worst, preparing to hear terrible news, then saw that tiny heart beating and the baby moving around a little. What a relief! We’re being more open about it now. Families are ecstatic, friends are excited, and even faculty and administration at my med school see nothing wrong with it! We’re due on the very last day of my very last third year rotation and I’ve been able to make some schedule changes to ease that last trimester. Now if the first trimester blahs would just go away. It’s depressing to see that my pants won’t button already. I thought that the morning (evening) sickness was easing off but I’ve had a resurgence over the past few days. Any ideas from moms out there about when I might start to feel better? When I might stop sleeping all the time??? :tired: :tired: :tired:

It’s all worth it! 😀 😀 😀

Erin, MS3

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

I am so glad to hear everyone’s responses! How exciting! Well, to update my situation I ended up NOT opting for the Problem-based learning pathway because the school is discontinuing the program after this year. This means that if for any reason I have to take a leave of absence from school, I will have to start back from the beginning of Med 1!!! 😮 :tired:

I am still trying to get pregnant. I have realized that the LH surge tests (ovulation predictors) aren’t working for me b/c I don’t surge big enough to get the positive reading (a pink line darker than the control line). So here I am telling the honey to hold onto his sperm until I surge for no reason! Guess I’ll just revert to the natural method–do it when you want to and hope it takes :blush: . Anyhoo, if I do get preggers I will take a year off of school, which is allowed in such cases. That way I can nurse the little one and bond nicely.

Well, thanks for all your replies and I’ll let everyone know my luck!

Yours,
    Elise 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.