Winter blahs

Home Forums General Discussion Winter blahs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    M -AM-A
    Participant

For those of you who live in the colder parts of the world, how do you deal with it? I have a hard time with winter. Every year when it comes around I feel tired, lazy, and sluggish. I try to stay active but I find it hard. 🙁
    Any tips or suggestions?

M-A

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I really cant give you any tips, Im a hermit in the winter. I live at the tip of Lake Michigan in Indiana.

You know, there is this disorder that is called seasonal affective disorder than happens to people from decreased light….(Im not suggesting you have it). Your post just reminded me of it.

M -AM-A
    Participant

I have heard of SAD (seasonal affective disorder), but I’m not sure if I get it or not? It seems to me that most people feel the same as we do about the winters! Well, I’m having a xmas party tonight, that should cheer things up a bit! :rotfl:

amykamyk
    Participant

Have you ever tried one of those bright light-therapy boxes? My husband has one, and wow, does it make a difference for me in Jan. and Feb. I guess a lot of people use them to wake up with, but I like it in late afternoon, which just rolls around too early in winter. Ten or fifteen minutes next to it with my eyes closed makes a huge difference.

As for sluggishness…I know this sounds unhelpful, but actually getting exercise is such an enormous help. I like to swim at a municipal pool that’s got a whole wall of windows, so there’s lots of natural light. Yeah, it’s winter light, but the combo of warm/active/light is good. (Plus there’s a jacuzzi, which makes things very nice afterwards.) I actually dislike getting into the water, never been a big swimmer, so I have to push myself to go car->locker room->pool. Once I’m in, though, it’s pretty good stuff.

amy

bltblt
    Participant

It’s not really cold here in Vancouver, but I can’t handle the rain and how grey it is!! Sometimes, it seems like the sun did’t even rise!

I used to run, but now that it’s rainy, I can’t get myself to do it. I’m from eastern Washington originally, where it’s COLD, but sunny, and snowy most of the winter. I miss the sun!

The one thing that does get me outside is the fact that we have two dogs. Big dogs who need exercise, but I do get bitter when it’s rainy and I’m soaked!

DreyDrey
    Participant

Ugh, we are swimming in snow up here, we had almost two feet in the past 36 hours. The snow is really pretty, but what depresses me is how disgusting and wet my socks/pantscuffs get when trudging through all this sludge. And of course, my school only cancells classes for the apocalypse. Winter blahs indeed. :p

drmoo55drmoo55
    Participant

often wondered about those boxes- how much do they cost? thought they were pretty $$$$

guess I could google- i have found a new past time “googling”

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

i live in the world of no winter now, but back when i went to school on the edge of lake erie, i had a terrible time in the winter. i used to get really sad and blah-ed out. my senior year, i got a dog, and so ended up going for walks in the woods every day with her. somehow being more in tune with nature really helped me get through winter. when you spend most of the time inside, winter just seems to drag on forever with no improvement. :yes:

M -AM-A
    Participant

Amy, you’re right. Exercise does help; I prefer doing yoga, it doesn’t get me outdoors but I do enjoy it.

Maybe I will try a light box, it seems to have helped a lot of others.

:scratchchin:

bekagainbekagain
    Participant

Just returned from Florida. Wow. Sunshine! My husband and I are seiously considering moving there from MI. I can’t stand the cold and darkness in the winter. It makes it worse to almost to visit Florida and then come home. Ugh. It really gets bad for me after Christmas when here isn’t the “holiday spirit” to make the cold and snow worth it. 🙁

I know that exercising helps me, but it is so hard for me to get outside when it is cold. Plus, my four year old would have to come with me and complains about walking and get really cold in the stroller. Spoiled only child! :rolleyes:

Oh well. At least I am not the only one!

amykamyk
    Participant

Drey, I hear ya on the wet socks/cuffs. So it’s LL Bean to the rescue:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=30511 &parentCategory=4439&cat4=1125&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa1125

Gaiters! They’re on my Christmas list.

amy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.