Working Thru Med School

Home Forums General Discussion Working Thru Med School

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Amy26Amy26
    Participant

Here’s another question then….. how many people work thru med school? I’ve always thought this to be absolutely impossible. But with the amount of debt accumulated, is it advisable to work part time through med school? How many people do it? And how many hours a week can anyone possibly sacrifice to work with med school being so demanding? Just a thought.

YearstogoYearstogo
    Participant

Originally posted by Amy26:
    Here’s another question then….. how many people work thru med school? I’ve always thought this to be absolutely impossible. But with the amount of debt accumulated, is it advisable to work part time through med school? How many people do it? And how many hours a week can anyone possibly sacrifice to work with med school being so demanding? Just a thought.

I think it’s not advisable to work through medical school. Yes, there is a lot of debt, but unless whatever you’re doing part-time is extremely lucrative, it’s not worth the hours you’d have to take away from studying or other important things in your medical school life. I suppose it would be possible, schedule-wise, to work part-time during the first two years. The only people I know who worked in my medical school class at that time were either taking a much-reduced class load (my school has feeder programs during which some people take some of the classes ahead of time, to the great annoyance of people with full workloads) or were working in something that interested them in terms of a future specialty, and not for the money.

FPmommyFPmommy
    Participant

Someone in my medschool had to work because her dad was a well-off doctor but would not support her so no financial aide. It was very hard on her, I think. She did a bunch of lucrative research subject things (i.e. stay in the hospital and let them draw your blood a million times while giving you some drug). Even she had to pretty much stop entirely during the clinical years, although the clinical years now aren’t quite as hard as they used to be. If you had children, too it would be totally impossible if you wanted ANY time with your children. 🙁 I would really try to minimize it!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.