Your typical day in medical school.

Home Forums Medical Students Your typical day in medical school.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ZULUZULU
    Participant

Current premed wants to know.
    I apologize if these questions ask before.
    Med students, could you please tell us?

1. What time your class starts and finishes?
    2. When do you study?
    3. Which school you are attending?
    4. Which year are you?

Thanks

ZULU

SusannamiaSusannamia
    Participant

1. What time your class starts and finishes?

I am on placement at a childrens hospital at present. Start at 8am-9am. Finish 5pm-6pm. usually get 1-2 early afternoon finishes a week

2. When do you study?

At night, during weekends and during freetime during day

3. Which school you are attending?

University of Sheffield Medical School, UK

4. Which year are you? 3rd

twinsmomtwinsmom
    Participant

Like other posters have said in other threads, when you are a 1st or 2nd year, you can attend most classes as much or as little as you like, depending on your learning style. (With the exception of Anatomy and classes where you are evaluated by your participation in small groups or problem based learning – the number and frequency of these classes varies between schools.)
    But when you get to 3rd year, attendance is not an option. My current schedule is 6days/week, q4 call. Average day: get to the hospital to preround at 5:30 to 6:30am, depending on the number of patients you are following. Get off around 5:30, unless on call. In addition, have to turn in patient write-ups twice weekly, prepare brief presentations approx 1 every 2 weeks, try to squeeze in some study time to prepare for the Shelf exam at the end of the rotation, plus be a mom in what little time is left!

shauna ,MS,MomMD2Bshauna,MS,MomMD2B
    Participant

Class times: Lectures: 10-12, Labs: 1:00-3:30 M-F

When I study: some evenings, most weekends

I’m a 1st year in California.

:wave: Shauna

sarah /tsarah/t
    Participant

i’m a first year, i’ve elected to skip most of the classes that I can get away with skipping.
    I study 3-4 nights a week, off and on between taking care of the baby. .5 to full day on Saturday and nothing on Sunday unless its before a big test.

By skipping class all day I can easily get in 8 hours of studying before the baby comes home, for me thats the advantage of skipping.

sarah /tsarah/t
    Participant

sorry, i am a student at the University of Colorado HSC in Denver.

Most of the time we’re in at eight, and out by noon, But with anatomy its diff. lecture would be over at noon, but lab could go forever into the night. , now that anatomy is over its better. some days are scheduled over noon, but not the majority.

sarah /tsarah/t
    Participant

Originally posted by twinsmom:
    [b] Like other posters have said in other threads, when you are a 1st or 2nd year, you can attend most classes as much or as little as you like, depending on your learning style. (With the exception of Anatomy and classes where you are evaluated by your participation in small groups or problem based learning – the number and frequency of these classes varies between schools.)
    But when you get to 3rd year, attendance is not an option. My current schedule is 6days/week, q4 call. Average day: get to the hospital to preround at 5:30 to 6:30am, depending on the number of patients you are following. Get off around 5:30, unless on call. In addition, have to turn in patient write-ups twice weekly, prepare brief presentations approx 1 every 2 weeks, try to squeeze in some study time to prepare for the Shelf exam at the end of the rotation, plus be a mom in what little time is left! [/b]

sarah /tsarah/t
    Participant

Opps, sorry twinsmom. I was wondering how third year would be. Could you tell me a little more. I’m worried since I’ve relied on skipping so much so far.

1. when are you finding time to study
    2. is this year harder for your family?

thanks,
    sarah

twinsmomtwinsmom
    Participant

1. When to study? HA! That’s a good question…. Let’s just say that I don’t get to study like used to, or as much as I need/want to. It’s not physically possible. I have since switched to an outpt rotation for a month, so I have a bit more time (No prerounding or call – yay!). It is still tough though. I can only study after the twins go to sleep, and when I go to the library for a few hrs on the weekends.

2. Third yr is WAY harder on the family. Skipping out is not an option (like I mentioned in the childcare thread). When I’m on an inpt service and on-call, I typically go 2 days without seeing my kids or husband awake. I leave for the hospital when everyone is asleep, then I don’t get home until the evening of the next day. If I’m on call on a weekend, that means my husband has to watch them by himself. Occasionally he has brought the twins to the hospital to see me, but that’s unpredictable – you never know when you will suddenly get an admission or have something where you can’t get away. The other stressful thing about 3rd yr is that you are constantly being evaluated. If you want to get into a residency that is at all competitive, you have to be on the ball all the time.
    I know that internship hours are even more hectic than 3rd yr. When you see what the intern hours are like, as a MS3, you don’t feel that you have the right to complain about hours, but is hard as a mom.

sarah /tsarah/t
    Participant

Thanks again, I figured it would be worse. Those without kids say its not so bad, but they don’t have to skip class the first two years either in order to get the grades and study.

thanks so much for all your thoughts. s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.