Don’t Let Stress Burn You Out – Take a Break and Restore Your Energy!
There is quite a bit of research available today that suggests that stress plays a large role in overall health (physically, mentally and emotionally) . Symptoms can range from heart disease, chronic fatigue to migraines and many more. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 75 to 90 percent of all doctor visits are prompted by stress-related concerns.
Perhaps it’s a long day at the hospital with a less than content co-worker whom you must work with, or an agitated patient who has no hesitation sharing some of their stress with you. Perhaps you’ve had little to no sleep with a crying infant, wake to the relentless demands of your toddler who is having a melt down over what kind of cereal you poured or clothes to wear…..you’re buried beneath piles of clothes, diapers and the endless list of to do’s. Sounds like stress to me!!! And, yes, I’ve been there too on more occasions than I care to admit.
It seems in this ever-fast paced world that we live in there is bound to be stress that’s put upon us on a continual basis and just cannot be avoided. There is a very wise saying that continues to hold it’s weight today – “God grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change, the COURAGE to change the things I can and the WISDOM to know the difference”. However, there are some tools to keep you from being run down and burned out!
So… today, I would like to share with you some simple and effective ways to treat yourself to some well deserved self care that will help you restore your energy and power you up.
- Schedule a couple of hours just for you – choose whatever you want, something you’ve wanted to do for a long time, but just never got around to doing.
- Take a walk on the beach, park or relaxing area. – Get some fresh air, exercise, and soak in the sunshine!
- Listen to your favorite music
- Write in a journal – use part of it to express feelings, contemplate, but also have another section where you keep the “pearls” or things of value or meaning.
- Indulge in a small item
- Turn off the TV, phone, pager, cell phone, computer etc, and just enjoy the quiet to relax, reflect and recharge
- Find a quiet place where you can quiet your heart and meditate.
- Laugh & smile – add a little humor, release the pent up tension. – Do a silly dance in front of the mirror – I’ll bet you laugh!
- Take a 5-minute “escape” – close your eyes and picture yourself in your favorite place doing your favorite thing.
- Get a massage – professionally or even sign up a family member
- Wear a bright color – add some cheer
- Count your blessings – there are so many if we only take the time to see them
- Visit the sauna or steam room the next time you’re at the gym
- Say “NO” to an obligation you don’t need or want to take on.
- Add your own…
You can check out the MomMD forum discussion thread at for more great ideas.
Thoughts and Challenges
If you’re beginning to or already do feel burned out, take a look at the list above and choose at least two that you can commit to doing this week. Make it a priority and give it the attention it deserves and then keep your eyes open to see what is happening in and around you.
About the author:
Tressa is inspired to guide women in reaching a life that they love while taking care of themselves! If you would like assistance in any aspect of your professional or personal journey, she welcomes the opportunity to discuss creating an individual plan for you!
Tressa is one of the MomMD coaching affiliate members who represent Women To Women Coaching. They are dynamic teleconference/workshop leaders, and personal and professional life coaches who are dedicated to working with busy Professional Women/Moms who desire to create more success in balancing time and energy in work and home that will significantly impact their lives. Join a unique group of women/moms from all over the world with the courage to go after their dreams. We will be offering upcoming teleconferences through MomMD and welcome you to join us in these interactive teleconferences that will stimulate your creativity and help you be more energized. In addition, we will be posting forum questions and replies that motivate you to explore important issues. Check out upcoming events and teleconferences at our website at www.womentowomencoaching.com.